Are you wringing your cycling clad gloved hands for a way to treat the Dad in your life to a rollicking fun weekend? Stop the wringing. It will all be okay. Didn't you see the sky-banner ad at the Bolder Boulder? On June 15th, starting at around 3 p.m. there will be beer, bikes and bands. Wait...GOOD beer, funky bikes and really AMAZING Bands!! And before you think this is just another insane, serious Colorado ride that's too long and arduous to be considered "fun", THINK AGAIN.
Welcome to the 3rd annual G'Knight Ride! The G'Knight Ride is a celebration of cycling, and is meant for cyclists of all ages, sizes, and abilities. The Ride is a great excuse to dust off that old 10-speed, mountain bike, or cruiser and hop on with 3,000+ other riders on a great evening tour.
A beer garden brought to you by Oskar Blues. Need we say more? Yes? Okay, here. How the ride got its name: Recently Oskar Blues was forced to change the name of its Imperial Red/Double IPA brew, originally named Gordon, resulting in G'Knight, for Gordon Knight, the man behind the brew. They thought having a cruiser ride/festival in the evening near the solstice (June 21st) would just HAVE to be called the G'Knight Ride (for the beer and the late hour). Luckily, Oskar Blues agreed.
There are countless reasons to come on down and ride your bike at this spectacular event. But two of the best? You'll be having a blast with your bike-loving community, while supporting Bicycle Longmont -the local non-profit bike advocacy group. Proceeds from the event go to their programs, such as:
- The Kids Holiday Bike Program that gets over 450 underprivileged youth onto refurbished bikes and into new helmets,
- Longmont Bike Garage, opening Summer 2012, and
- Longmont Bike Night, summer cruiser rides each Wednesday night from Roosevelt Park.
- 1.3 miles: Heading out first down Main St. for the Bike Parade, parents are welcome to ride or run with their kiddos, and even jump back in for either of the other Rides, with or without your tiny racers in tow. This Ride will start at 5:15PM, following the celebratory waves to kick of the G'Knight Ride this year.
- 3.1 miles: This ride starts at 5:30. Perfect for littler legs, the mini Ride should take less than an hour. The ride up to Price Park is meandering, but a block before Sunset on 6th Ave may require a hand for the littler racers. The ride down from Price Park is a fun one - about a mile all down-hill Longs Peak Ave.
- 12+ miles (but not plus a lot): The signature 12+ mile G'Knight Ride launches from Roosevelt Park in Downtown Longmont at about 6PM. It can easily be completed in under an hour, however we expect neighborhood parties and fun stuff along the Ride slow the average rider to take 90 minutes to 2 hours to complete. Remember, the G'Knight
Ride is about having fun with others along the way!
There will be some seriously good local bands all afternoon and into the night, but the headliner is the now nationally acclaimed band, Family of the Year. http://familyoftheyear.net/ They'll start jamming at around 9 p.m. Pretty, pretty pretteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey nice.
I want to go there:
Of course you do! Who DOESN'T, right? It's going to be a blast. Now before you forget, mark it on the calendar and REGISTER HERE. http://www.prerace.com/races/event/41156 NOW. You definitely want to secure a spot for you, your ten-speed, PLUS ensuing that you get your super-sweet swag bag. SUPER-SIX-SCHOOL-NEWS, SWEET.
***THERE IS EVEN CHILD CARE!!! I kid you not! They literally thought of everything. ***