The Organization: Bicycle Colorado is the statewide bicycling organization dedicated to building a bicycle-friendly Colorado. Established more than 20 years ago, we are considered one of the leading bicycle advocacy groups in the country.
The Program: Bicycle Colorado’s Safe Routes to School program increases the number of children bicycling and walking to school in our state while encouraging safe bicycling and walking habits. Components include in-class education, bicycle skills course facilitation, planning and oversight of encouragement programs and coordination with school administrations. Since 2006, Bicycle Colorado has been to over 140 schools and taught over 65,000 students throughout the state. This is an opportunity to work in a growing field and utilize a passion for bicycling, teaching and creativity to improve Colorado.
Contractor Duties Include:
- Assist teaching Bicycle Colorado’s bicycle and pedestrian education programs
- Assist with in-school education, teacher trainings and adult classes
- Coordinate and guide school staff and volunteers
- Willingness to travel in Colorado and work flexible hours including some evenings and occasional weekends
- Assist with grant writing if and when needed
- Other duties as required
Skills and background sought:
- Experience and comfort teaching children grades K-8
- Strong project or program coordination experience
- Must be energetic, enthusiastic and passionate about bicycling and improving the lives of children
- Confident and effective public speaking and meeting facilitation skills
- Experience working with volunteers
- Effective time management and scheduling skills
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Ability to lift bicycles and gear weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Microsoft Word and Excel skills
- Familiarity with schools and parent-teacher organizations a plus
- Experience with production of educational materials a plus
- Experience with grant writing a plus
Compensation: This seasonal contractor will be paid an hourly wage ranging from $15-$18 that is commensurate with experience. Work will begin late August providing Safe Routes programming in schools into October, 2014. Grant writing support may be needed through November. While some weeks will require full time work, others may be less intensive or free of work depending on need.
Contractors will be subject to a criminal background check.
How to Apply: Qualified candidates please email resume, cover letter, and references to: Jenna@bicyclecolorado.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled. Please put “Education Program Contractor” in the subject line of your email and use this opportunity to display your writing communication skills. We will not be accepting phone calls at this time.