Originally I had no plans of a Tuesday Coffee Talk until I read the Letters to the Editor in the Daily Camera about Cyclist's reckless behavior. But it wasn't about the behavior of the cyclists that concerned me, we all know there are bad apples out there, some intentionally stupid and some cluelessly stupid because they never learned how to drive a bike in traffic. No it was this sense of how outsiders or new residents to this area view cyclists, probably outsiders who live in a community where probably the only cyclists ever seen are those forced to ride because of excessive DUI's.
From the Daily CameraI am new to working in the Boulder area. In my few months that I have commuted in and around the city of Boulder I have experienced a side to bicyclists that I never knew existed. Everything from rude comments to reckless behavior on the roads.
I can handle the rude comments but I find the reckless behavior to be unacceptable. I feel bicyclists need to have identification numbers worn on their bicycles or on their backs so they can clearly be identified.
I feel this would make the bicyclist more responsible for their actions and result in less traffic-related injuries for bicyclists. It's a win-win situation in my opinion.
If bicyclists expect to be treated like vehicles and have the rights of a moving vehicle in traffic, they clearly need to be playing by the same rules as everyone else. How did this culture of the bicyclist come to be?
I'm not sure where this person recently came from, maybe as close as the city of Westminster who just got their first bike lane or maybe from Jacksonville Florida. Either way they are probably in for a shock when they come to our bike-loving community. How did our bike culture come to be you ask, out of dedication, progressive vision and insight that alternatives to the majority is out there and is fun! Personally having lived and biked in places other than the 303 area I know what it is like, these attitudes are the 99% of the country and our area is the 1%. Every time you throw your leg over your bike remember how great we have it here and how unfortunate and ignorant the other 99% of the USA is. We are representatives to the other 99% so please try to use this right consciously but more importantly, keep on using that right and keep riding!
What outsider views have you heard from others when they visit our area, with lots upcoming visitors for the holidays, I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot of opinions from the 99%?